Re: time constant in resonant circuit

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 07:49 AM 1/6/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Alfred Erpel" <alfred-at-erpel-dot-com>
>

> > Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> >

> > I think you have the equation wrong.. Increasing either R or L will
> > increase the time constant it takes for the current to reach 63% of the
> > eventual value, right?  Therefore, the TC must be the product of R and
>L...
> >

>No, I don't have that part wrong.  Poke around on this site to get a clear
>understanding of inductive and capacitive time constants.  Check out the
>links on the left.  After one hour of serious reading anyone can have a full
>understanding of the basics.
>
>http://www.allaboutcircuits-dot-com/vol_1/chpt_16/5.html
>

>Al Erpel

Indeed.. I was thinking in terms of voltage, but, should have been thinking
in terms of current. Larger resistor will suck the power out faster,
reducing the time constant..

In any case, the original question had to do with the relationship between
L/R and RC time constants, and the waveforms in RLC circuits, and for that,
it depends on the relative values and whether the system is over or under
damped.