Re: Please Advise

Original poster: "Emmett Secrest" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>

Bart...just to give you an update on the Toroid change.  As I said
previously I produced less numbers of streamers with the 6x30 Toroid and
they also did not appear as bright and were not as long as with the 4x21
Toroid.  Again tonight I had the same results. I decided to change my
overall spark gap setting since either you or Dan had stated I was pushing
it with a total of 3/8".  I changed the total gap to .165" and was
surprised by the results.  It required re-tuning .5 turns out from the
center. It went from 4.5 turns to 5 and 1/6th turns for the 4x21 Toroid and
6 and 1/6th turns for the 6x30 Toroid. Can you explain why changing the
total spark gap setting affects the tuning point?  This is probably basic
stuff for you experienced coilers but it really has my curiosity peaked.  I
think the 6x 30 may be a little large so I am going to cut it down to 24"
O.D. and give it another try.  I will also try your suggestion on raising
the primary via lowering the secondary. I originally had it set at 2.5
inches up from the bottom winding of the secondary. Honestly I had
forgotten about that and it is an easy change. The results should be
interesting. I did receive some racing sparks on the secondary with the
6x30 Toroid.  I'm not sure what I did to stop them but it hasn't happened
again with the large toroid. With the 4x21 and the new gap setting I am
getting two to three streamers at a time that are very bright, seem to be
wider than before and are around 4 feet in length. I am not positive on the
distance as I have not tried to accurately measure them.  Lets just say
they are nice streamers and they make me very happy.  Oh , one other
question, is the .165" gap acceptable or do I need to decrease it further?

Thanks,

Emmett