Re: TC Question and Discharge Safety

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi John,

The gap is across the transformer through the primary. Although the cap is
physically in the circuit, where is the potential difference? It's across
the gap, not the cap. If you pull your caps out of the circuit, do you get
the same result? I would expect so (gap adjustment left where it is). If
you put the gap across C and L, then you'll have the potential difference
across the C and L and the cap will charge. The when the gap fires, the NST
is shorted out, and you have parallel LC oscillation. If you put the gap
across L and place C between the gap and L, same thing (the potential
difference across the cap prior to the gap arcing, the NST shorted out when
the gap fires, then series LC oscillation).

Placing the gap in series this way is completely different. Try placing LC
in series and the gap in series before both. Where's the potential
difference? It occurs when the NST arcs the gap (if the gap is set to the
NST's arcing potential). But, it's path is though L to do this. C is just
sitting there waiting for the NST to make the circuit. Unfortunately, the
NST is shorted out during the process, and C doesn't have a chance either way.

Take care,
Bart