Wind vs Spark Length.

Original poster: "Peter Reid" <peter-at-reidconsulting-dot-com.au>

Hello,

I have just finished running my 10" coil outside, however this evening it
was rather windy, and noticed that the maximum spark distance to a grounded
rod was greatly reduced, from about 9-10ft on previous runs to about 7-8ft
tonight. Does this sound reasonable?

I also tried de-tuning the primary out-wards by 1/3 of a turn; it seemed to
make the power-arc much more intense.  I don't know what effect this would
have on the spark length as it was just too windy. Has anyone had similar
experiences? I did manage to get a few good time-lapse photos of the coil
running at about 10kW they are under the sparks menu at
http://tesla.reidconsulting-dot-com.au however they were taken before the
primary was "de-tuned" to account for streamer loading. Any comments /
suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I am aiming for around 12ft. :-)

Regards

Peter Reid.