Re: Please Advise

Original poster: "Emmett Secrest" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the encouragement and advice from you and Gary.  As you know I
am new to this and this is my first coil. I feel I have been very fortunate
to have achieved the results I have so easily.  Not that I haven't had any
bugs to work out. What success I have had I owe to the people on this
list.  I am on my own on this as there aren't any coilers anywhere near me,
that I know of. I was getting good streamers from just the one NST then
added the second one. I was getting longer streamers with the second NST
but they were coming in such rapid succession that I felt I was not gaining
the increase in streamer length that I should have gotten.  This made me
think that I maybe needed a bigger Toroid due to the frequency of the
streamers.  I haven't decided on the 24" or 30" diameter yet but will be
getting the 6" dryer duct tomorrow.  I am really anxious to see what effect
it has on the output.  I had expected to get racing sparks down my
secondary but have not had that problem at all. I did get better
performance at the 4th turn instead of the 5th but was getting so many
streamers and strikes to the strike rail that I backed it out to the 5th
just to tone it down some.  I had already experienced my first strike to
the primary and did not want to see that again. Nothing was damaged but I
wasn't sure I would be so lucky the next time.  I changed the position of
my strike rail and it seems to have solved the primary strike problem. I
will post the results of the Toroid change.

thanks,

Emmett