Secondary resonant frequency vs. Skin Effect

Original poster: "C. Kollett" <ckollett-at-falconaerosystems-dot-com>

Hi All,

I am new to the list, but jus  twanted to warn of the low frequency which
can be typical of a large coil. I built my first coil 28 years ago. It was
20" diameter x 48" and easily produced a 50-60" discharge. The resonant
frequency was 278Khz. This is actually a very low frequency and "skin
effect" does not apply at these low freqencies. In my opinion it is the Q
of the secondary that produces the high voltage rather than a turns ratio.
At the time I should have focused on producing the highest Q possible
rather than having a large number of turns (apprx 560 per memory). Anyway,
I was accidentally hit by the main streamer with only one or two snaps, but
it nearly killed me since the discharge went through my body rather than
over the surface (as it would if the frequency were much higher).
I know many of you out there are very experienced.. but for anyone coming
into this with limited experience that one must be very careful. These
machines can toast you. I'm passing this on for  what its worth .

It's very nice to see there is an enthusiastic group on this subject. I
want to build another coill some day. When I built mine back in 75-76 there
was no internet and I was totally on my own.Fortunately I had a lot of
electronic background. Im also happy to share any information on this
subject to anyone.

CK