Please Advise

Original poster: "Emmett Secrest" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>

First let me say Happy New Year to everyone on the list. I added a second
NST and additional caps to my coil tonight. I had to decrease the tap point
from the 7th turn to the 5th for estimated best performance. I am getting
roughly 5' streamers with frequent strikes to the strike rail. I had one
primary hit but it didn't cause any damage.  I repositioned my strike rail
and did not get any further strikes to the primary. I have not changed my
coupling or Toroid. I get multiple streamers of 4 to 5 feet and in quick
succession. My question is whether I should increase the size of the
Toroid?  I presently have one  that is d=4 D=16.  Please correct me if I am
wrong but it seems I read that if there are lots of streamers being
produced it means the breakout voltage required for the Toroid is small
compared to the amount of voltage being delivered. If this is the case,
then wouldn't a larger Toroid have a higher breakout voltage point and then
for a given voltage supply produce less numbers of streamers that are
longer?  I was considering making a d=6 by D=16 Toroid.  Any suggestions as
to a better size would be appreciated.  These are the spec's on my coil:

(2) 12/60 NST's
(2) strings of eight .15 uF LTR 2600v MMC's
RQ Gap w/ fan ( 3 gaps of 1/8" each)
15 turn primary of .25" cu tubing w/ .25" spacing between turns
4.5 dia. secondary  22.5" winding length/ 22 AWG
pri. even with bottom of sec winding
2.5 spacing between pri. and sec.
bottom of Toroid 1" above top winding of sec.

Thanks for your help.  It is due to everyone's kind assistance that I have
successfully built my first coil and I am sure that with your help I will
get the bugs out of my recent upgrade.

Emmett