Re: Noob Questions

Original poster: Pat Masterson <bat-at-grumman-dot-com>

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Tesla list wrote:

 >Original poster: Nathan Savir <thoobik-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >

 >My friends and I have done some electronics stuff before, but this will be
 >our first Tesla coil. Can someone please tell us about how small a coil we
 >can make? We want to start out with one about as small as possible, both
 >for safety and simplicity concerns. Any other suggestions for beginners
 >would be appreciated as well.

  I once made a small coil. The secondary was #26 wire, wound on a toilet
paper tube, about 6 inches long. The cap was a single piece of 6 inch
plastic with aluminum tape on both sides. The transformer was an
automobile spark coil  with a buzzer to interrupt the cricuit.
  It produced blue streamers about 2 inches long.. -pat

*