Re: Powerex IGBT Bricks -- Super OLTC Pieces

Original poster: "Robert Jones" <alwynj48-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi,

I impulse bid on some similar half bridge versions and won.
The impulse idea was to use them in an 600A SSTC with a low duty cycle.
However I did not properly think it out.  These devices are slow almost half
a us switching time!
I don't know if that's important for a OLTC or not.
But in a SSTC it means high switching losses, so I figured only good for
zero current switching at say 100kHz (big secondary and topload) at the max
current rating.
When I looked at the detailed design to run at 600A it required large high
current power supply caps(even large 400V electrolytic have only tens of rms
current ratings) and  lots of geek caps for the resonant primary.

If anyone wants to buy my half bridge 600A(1200Apk) 600v versions contact
me. (USA)

Bob