Re: Arctronics capacitors

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hello Finn Hammer, Kreso, hello all.

 >  >  >  >  > And they performed well, in a 2 by 2 configuration, doubling
the
 >  >  > voltage
 >  >  >  >  > Discharge length 1.8 meters, 32kV primary voltage reached 300

If you use2 in seies for 70KV and use 32KV primary voltage you are probably
stressin your caps more than
I do with a single cap with 25KV rating on my 12KV MOT-Stack. But from what
this discussion brought up until
now they seem to be very "Tesla-Compatible" in the way they are made, but
can become insufficient for
TC use if mistreated in previous life..... OK this means everybody buy a
brand new one ;-)
I am still not sure if and what kind of container I want to enclose them in.
I really don't want an oil mess on my parents carpet,
especially after somone told me how silicon oil behaves, almost running
everywhere, even up your walls until evenly distributed.

 >Yes it is the model 37667 35 kvdc and 30 nF. The cap didnt work for 2 days
 >before explosion. I ran my coil for maybe second or two ( just turned
variac
 >to max) and the top of capacitor ( where the sticker is ) just ripped and
 >flyed around the room messing evrything with oil and oil did also spring
 >from capacitor!

Kreso, this really replaces the white whale in Ahab's nightmares ;-) This is
exaclty what I don't want to experience indoors.
But it sounds really strange to me to reactivate the cap after the housing
broke and spilled the oil. On the other hand it is
very interesting to know what is inside this cap. I always thought there was
one big cap inside.
If my caps fail this way, the microswitch sensors might trigger just the
moment when the first pieces of cap hit my head.*heheh*
It seems that you cap did not experience a pressure buildup due to heating
up, but a single internal shorting out that produced enough
oil vapour to "open" the case.

Thats it for now

best regards

Chistoph Bohr

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/museum/cap/cappage.htm
 >  >  >  >  > had given in due to corona problems on the leads of the
 > individual
 >  >  > caps,
 >  >  >  >  > and we were waiting for the "real mccoy" to arrive from
Maxwell.