Re: Herrick's Transformerless Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>
 >
 > I've worked up a dwg of the prospective commutator assembly for
 > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tspk17s1.pdf.  See
 > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tspk17a1.pdf.

I'm currious to see what will happen.

Things like this were used directly for the generation of high voltage.
See the "rheostatic machine", developed by Planté (the same inventor
of the lead-acid battery):
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/lef595.jpg
It consists of an array of capacitors and a commutator mounted on
a cylinder that connects all the capacitors alternately in parallel,
being charged by a high-voltage battery, and in series.
A kind of Marx generator where the capacitors are first charged in
parallel and then assembled in series.
His book describing the machine is available at http://gallica.bnf.fr.
In your system, you charge the capacitors one by one. Another
possibility, that I have seen somewhere too.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz