RE: Fine tuning

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I assume that you've already tried rough tuning of various primary tap
connections.  If the performance is still thought to be considerably
less than it should, I would look at the overall design features:  Gap
design, topload size, pri-sec coupling, capacitor specifics.

Despite the apparent precision of signal generator & scope tuning, final
tuning is still done the old fashioned way - changing primary taps for
maximum performance.  The secondary frequency is significantly affected
(lowered) by the presence of streamers, so low voltage instrument tuning
will just get you in the ballpark.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Steve Zeitler" <zeitler-at-verizon-dot-net>

hello everyone
i haven't been on this list for a while.
I built a coil in '96 which wound up at the Museum where I work . It has

worked OK but was never a stellar performer.
Recently It fried 1 of 2 homemade power transformers. (they were 9kv
-at-150ma
+/- if not ballasted. They were connected  in series. I was able to
obtain
2 "potential transformers" from the local power company 8.4kv at 1500va
each. These are a good scrounge right? I will run these in series also.
the tuning was set during construction based on signal generator and
o'scope testing. Close but not right on I'm sure.
My question is, how do I fine tune this machine  to get best performance

out of it? surely there is an article someone can refer me to.    Thanks
                                                        Steve Z
                                                 The Franklin Institute
                                                        Philly