Ballasting pig with pig?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes-at-silicon-arcana-dot-com>

Anybody ever tried using the two LV windings on a pole
transformer as a big 1:1/isolation transformer for,
e.g., ballasting?  Just leave the HV winding open and
the LV windings separate from each other?  Any reason
why this wouldn't work?

I picked up two pigs last week.  In preparation for
repainting one of them, I pulled the transformer out
and noticed that the LV windings were only tied
together at the middle bushing, not welded together
down inside (guess that's probably typical, but I'm
new to this), so separating them is not an issue.

Here's what one of the 15kVA units looks like
de-canned:
http://silicon-arcana-dot-com/rte/xformer1.jpg