Re: Static Gap question.

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 2/11/04 9:24:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Understood on the edges being rounded and all.
>But if copper pipes were used in parallel to each other don’t you still
>have edges that maynot be rounded enough.  Like the ends of the pipe?
>
>Also I know that:
>"For a gap of reasonable dimensions you usually require a
>large surface and some forced cooling. Spark gaps get really hot."
>
>But other than the cooling aspect of it are there ANY OTHER benefits to
>using the larger surface area.  Or is the cooling the ONLY reason the
>larger surface area is desired?
>

>Thanx for the input.
>

>Luke Galyan

Luke,

When I made my gaps, I used a copper tubing (copper pipe) cutter which you
turn around the pipe as you add more pressure to the cutting wheel.  This
puts a nice inward bevel on the ends.

The large surface area of the copper pipes also gives the sparks lots of
room to work.  The arc doesn't sit in one place.  Watch one in action and
you will see the arcs randomly work from one end to the other.  I would
expect this to be an aid to quenching.

Ed Sonderman