Re: Input voltage minimum

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Luke,

*comments below*

 > Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
 >
 > Can anyone tell me what would be considered near the
 > minimum voltage that
 > would be feasible to use for the supply transformer?

Well, if you employed a third high voltage electrode
between the two terminals of the main gap for the tank
circuit...(aka a "triggered gap"...see Marc Metlicka's
T-Gap)...then one could bring the supply voltage down
considerably since the trigger electrode would ionize
the air for you at 120 bps or whatever you wanted.

 > I have heard of people using 9KV  Any one ever use a
 > 6KV or even a 4KV?

I've used a 9000V 18ma NST successfully...a 6KV 30ma
NST, and a 10000V 23ma OBIT.  All these NST's were
used in the early testing/prototyping phase of my 6"
dia secondary work and tended to produce 14 - 24 inch
sparks.  Cap was a .0062 Panasonic polyprop "Terry"
style MMC and occationally a 6 pack beer cap I had
left over from earlier playing around with a 2"
classical 1:12 aweful aspect ratio secondary a teacher
gave me.  It had been sitting in a school science
storage closet for about 15 years.  Gap was a TCBOR
static.