Re: mmc caps fitted

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 12:56 PM 10/02/04 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "philip barnes" <luck_phil87-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >
 >Hi,
 >
 >Wow my coil is impressive after fitting my new mmc using geek group
 >caps. I didnt believe 9 small caps could hold up but they do! Its a
 >12/30 system at 50 Hz with 11 nF cap.

<SNIP>

 >Am i right in thinking that a RQ sparkgap will improve the performance
 >of my coil a lot?
.
<SNIP>

 >And is a microwave fan a good fan for a RQ gap.
 >
 >Phil

Hi Phil,

Congrats on your coil's performance with a MMC at its heart.
I recall how I was awed when I switched from a brine cap to
an MMC a few years back.  A multi-gap such as the RQ style
will give you better performance than the single gap you're
presently using, but you'll need more airflow than what the
MO fan can provide.  I used a vaccuum cleaner compressor to
move lots of air through my RQ gap, after trying a muffin
fan with poor results.  I'm now using the "Hyperbaric Gap",
based on Gary Lau's Vortex Gap, and in addition to being a
lot easier to build, it handles higher power levels well.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle