Re: Safety Gap =

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

A safety gap would have saved my commercial caps from being overvolted due
to unwanted (and unknown) 60 hz resonance in the primary.  I replaced the
caps and add a properly set safety gap (across the cap at first) and it
fired like a high powered rifle with the variac set to only about 75%.  I
fixed the resonance problem and now use a safety gap across the rotary gap
- does not fire now - but is much easier on the caps if it ever needs to.

Ed Sonderman