Re: Single-bushing 14.7kV pigs. Thoughts?

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 08:50 AM 08/02/04 -0700, you wrote:
 >Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes-at-silicon-arcana-dot-com>
 >
 >After months of searching and drooling over hopelessly-expensive 5kVA units
 >on eBay, I finally found a cheap local source for used pigs (in Seattle).

<SNIP>

 >Trouble is, they're the single-bushing sort.
 >
 >Now, this may or may not be a big deal; I've been a long-time lurker on
 >this list, but I've never gotten a good feeling for exactly what the
 >downside is to having only a single HV bushing.

<SNIP>

 >If this has been dealt with a million times, feel free to scorch me.
 >I deserve it :)
 >
 >Regards,
 >Aaron

Hi Aaron, Coilers,

My coils are presently powered by a single bushing 14.4 -at- 10 KVA PDT
which is working just fine.  On the dolly which holds the PDT and my
ballast choke, I also have a 30 Amp Corcom filter.  That's the point
where the power ground (the green, or 3rd. lead) ends.  The case of
the PDT is grounded only to my dedicated Tesla ground which happens
to be the ground point for the inner end of the primary as well as
the bottom of the secondary.  This has the advantage, as I see it,
of making the close proximity of the primary and secondary at the
same potential.  I've had no problems with this arrangement.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle