Re: electrical units

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner" <ggreen-at-gwtc-dot-net>
 >
 > I wonder if Charles Proteus Steinmetz ever worked with tesla coils.
 > I recall seeing a picture of him standing beside an artificial
 > lightning generator in his lab. The generator consisted of a
 > big tank transformer, with shielded tube rectifiers on top. The
 > capacitor bank was a very long glass stacked outfit. So he
 > was doing something with high voltage.
 >
 > Godfrey Loudner
 >
 >  >1895 +/- units like the ohm, watt, volt, henry, and ampere were named
 >  >for famous scientists of earlier times.
 >
 >  >Ed

	Steinmetz certainly worked with high voltage and GE certainly did have
Tesla coils in their HV lab, but not sure of Steinmetz's involvement.
(He would most certainly been aware of them and how they worked.)  It's
hard to tell exactly what you're talking about from your description,
but sounds as if it might be a Cockroft-Walton type of HV DC supply.
Any idea of the date of the picture you saw?

Ed