RE: Inductance Charged Coil? / Tesla's DC induction arc based coil

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >Essentially what Tesla seems to be doing in this
 >patent is to use the process of a DC induction arc as
 >the substitute for an AC high voltage transformer to
 >cause the rf bursts on the tesla primary.

This is actually a DC resonant charging OLTC like the ones I built :-0 which
goes to prove either that Tesla was 100 years ahead of his time, or more
likely I am 100 years behind :)

The circuit doesn't have a de-Qing diode, but the principle is the same.
It's also very like the boost converter circuit used in power electronics,
and the "kicker coil" circuit used in some violet ray machines designed to
run off AC or DC.

How it works: When the switch (items C,D,E in drawing) is closed, current
from the DC mains builds up in the chokes B. When the switch opens, the
energy stored in the chokes is transferred into the capacitor H. Next time
the switch closes, capacitor H is dumped through the Tesla coil primary K,
and at the same time current starts to build up in chokes B again, repeating
the cycle.

In the other embodiment he describes, the field coils of the gap motor are
used in place of the chokes B, to save iron. You could make this one with a
series field motor from a vacuum or washing machine.

But the important thing to realize is that the energy to drive the Tesla
coil oscillations still comes from charge in a capacitor. All the induction
coils and stuff just charge the capacitor to a higher voltage than the DC
mains could alone.

Steve C.