Re: Inductance Charged Coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: tesla <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>
 >
 > Team
 > Does anybody know if a disruptive coil has ever been successfully made in
 > which the primary inductor is charged first (lots of I liitle V) to store
 > 0.5LI^2 joules. Charging stopped and the collapsing field then produces high
 > volts and off you go.
 >
 > Not sure why such a design might be made but I imagine in priniple it is the
 > mirror of charging the C into the L

This is the normal operation of an "induction coil", and is also seen
in ignition coils, TV flyback circuits and many switched power supplies.

It is possible to design a device with ouput voltages similar to what
can be obtained with capacitor-discharge Tesla coils, but due to
the practical limitations of switching devices (a spark gap can't be
used), the final device resembles a classical induction coil, with a
huge secondary inductor with iron core, and operation at relatively
low frequency.

The design is a variation of the design of a Tesla coil. See my paper:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/papers/2389.pdf

My program mrn4 can design ideal versions of these circuits:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs

Although it's possible to obtain complete energy transfer with this
technique, it's more usual to increase the coupling and use the high
voltage peak that appears at the output as the input current is
made to rapidly decrease.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz