Re: Racing sparks

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Tom, Gerry,

I don't completely understand each mechanism either, but I view the racing
sparks incident due a couple situations:

1) The voltage stress somewhere along the length of the coil is high enough
to breakout before the charge on the top terminal is capable.

2) There must be node(s) or areas along the length of the secondary which
are pronounced enough to cause the initial breakout a direct path down the
secondary. And with that, the further the arc creeps down the secondary,
the greater the difference in potential becomes. This why I think most
racing sparks will typically run the full the length of the coil. However,
I don't think this will occur each and everytime. The arc may make an
abrubt turn outward part way down.

I believe "any situation" which might cause stresses in unwanted areas of
the coil are capable of producing the same affect. Tuning, coupling, and
topload affects on current distribution along the length of the coil are
three areas of adjustment to reduce these stresses in both 1 and 2 above.

Someone else may have a better theory.
Take care,
Bart