Re: Hmm.. Not an effective magnifier

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

It seems to me that both the primary tuning and the SRSG phase need to be
adjusted.

How do you get 150BPS without running a DC charging method?  That break
rate results in 1.5 breaks per half-cycle - not very convenient.  I would
strongly suggest running either 100BPS or 200BPS if you can - either break
rate will work with your MMC.

Good luck,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:10:35 -0700, Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: Koen van den Berg <cerberus_rex-at-planet.nl> Goodday all,
>I was wondering if you could help me out with my latest project. I'm in
>the process of building a magnifier setup, and I hit a snag. My coil isn't
>giving me the output I figure it should. If it's more than 5 inches I'd be
>surprised, and I doesn't even break out from the toroid by its own accord.
>It used to, but since I resently 'upgraded it' with a rotary gap and a
>better MMC, it doesn't do much. My specs are the following:
>
>Coils
>
>Secondary : wound over 23" on a 4.5" coilform with 26 AWG wire (approx.
>1500 turns)
>Primary : 12 turns of 12 AWG wire spaced over 10 cm on a 12.4" diameter
>solenoid.
>Driver 1: wound over 9.8" on a 4.5" coilform with 26 AWG wire (approx 300
>turns)
>Driver 2: wound over 9.8" on a 4.5" coilform with 14 or 16 AWG
>
>Primary Circuit
>
>Transformers : 2 x 10 kV 50 mA NST's (with internal overload protection
>switch) for 10 kV 100 mA
>MMC : 32 nF -at- 22 KVDC (built with the .15 uF 2 KVDC geek caps)
>Spark Gap: Synchronous Rotary 150 BPS
>Line Filters: scrounged top of the line filter
>
>My Driver system specs are a bit off, I realise. I always use driver # 1.
>But I recently made the transition from a 16 nF ceramic MMC (which was
>actually only suited for one of my 10 kV 50 mA xfrmrs, by my calculations)
>to my geek group MMC, as specified above. Previously, with only one 50 mA
>transformer in the loop and my 16 nF MMC, the thing worked, but not very
>well. We had to put in a couple of resistors in the primary circuit to
>stop our NST's internal breaker from clicking off. Good thing it's there,
>or our coil would have been dead long since. Then we added another 10 kV
>50 mA transformer, removed the resistors, and it worked. I figure the
>primary is too heavy for 1 xfrmr. But now we have a bigger MMC, and a new
>synchronous rotary, and it behaves like this. Small sparks, as opposed to
>the medium ones we used to obtain (20"). With this setup as is, we had to
>interchange driver 1 with driver 2 to even get sparks! I don't understand.
>We've had a 3 foot long spark in th!
e past,