Re: 18,000. AMP high energy Cap bank

At 02:09 PM 12/17/2004, you wrote:
Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

My guess is that they are calculated with the internal esr/esl as a load, or they use some sort of amp probe similar to the ammeter clamps and just get a close estimate from the current's magnetic field intensity.
Usually the caps are simply built to witstand the 20kA pulses, or the cap is redesigned to have lesser peak current. I would think that trying to limit a certain cap to less than it's rated peak current would require a huge inductor/resistor, especially the 500-lb 100+ kJ ones.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: 18,000. AMP high energy Cap bank

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 12/11/04 9:46:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
The capacitors weigh about 100 lbs each. Caster
oil fill caps. Rated 18,000. AMP High Energy pulse capacitors. 3 capacitors in parallel is 54,000. AMPS.

How does one measure these very high current levels to any degree of accuracy?
How does one limit these current levels? If a energy discharge cap system has an ultimate safe rating of (say) 20kA, how does one make sure that current isn't exceeded during an experiment that vaporizes a specimen?

Don't forget that this is a linear system... You can charge the capacitor to a lower voltage, close the switch and measure the currents with a conventional oscilloscope. Then just scale.