From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 6:31 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 18,000. AMP high energy Cap bank

Original poster: "Gary Weaver" <gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

FOR SALE

Does anyone have an interest in this capacitor bank.  I have 3 capacitors
connected in parallel.  The capacitors weigh about 100 lbs each.  Caster
oil fill caps.  Rated 18,000. AMP High Energy pulse capacitors.   3
capacitors in parallel is 54,000. AMPS.   It comes with a power supply and
high voltage transformer that is used to charge the caps.

This thing is DANGERIOUS.  I make spark gaps out of 1/8" solid steel wire.
The wires are 3 feet long each.  I connect the wires to the large terminals
and bend them in a large loop about 4 foot diameter in size.  I set the
spark gap to about 1 inch.  I tie a 100 foot long kite string to one of the
spark gap wires.   I then plug in my 100 foot cord and let the capacitor
bank charge.  It takes a few seconds for it to get fully charged.   It
pulls a heavy load while it is charging the lights in the house get dim for
a whole.  When the lights in the house come back to full brightness I know
the cap bank has stopped charging.  I unplug the extension cord.  Then I
pull on the kite string to close the spark gap.   "BOOM"  The discharge
sounds like a high powered rifle.  The flash looks 100 times brighter than
an arc welder.  It vaporizes both wires.

A friend from the airport gave me a 5000 watt flash lamp.  It was used but
still worked.  The airport maintenance replaces the lights after a certain
number of hour before it burns out.  I discharged the cap bank through the
flash lamp and it completely vaporized the lamp.  There was nothing left
but a burned spot on my driveway.

I ran a piece of #24 copper wire to the street and back again a distance of
150 ft.  I discharged the cap bank through the wire.  It looked and sounded
like setting off 150 ft of demolation det cord.

I have never used these caps for a tesla coil.  I have always wondered if
there is a way to make the cap bank discharge through my tesla coil like
one huge lightin bolt.  It would probably vaporize the tesla coil.

Gary Weaver