RE: Use of Tantulums - DRSSTCs

Original poster: "McCauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>

>If I was in the business of designing medical equipment, spacecraft or
>avionics, their (tantalums) use would not even be contemplated. FWIW,
>mini-electrolytics and/or mini ceramic types work just as well
>in the regulator applications.
>
>Malcolm

Malcolm,

The failure of these components almost always a result of improper
design by the
engineer, not by the component.  The engineer needs to understand the
how the device
will be operated and under what conditions and use the correct part for
the application.

Tantalum capacitors are used almost everywhere.  In my line of work,
which includes lately
power system (avionics) work on the new F/A-22 Raptor as well as naval /
ground based military radar
systems, tantalum capacitors are used quite frequently.

Dan