Re: Electrolytic Caps for AC use

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Electrolytic caps will explode if attached to full-wave AC. Luckily mine were smallish 25v 4700uF. Puts out some nasty smoke that's worse than burning hair/sulphur, but a nice bang.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 9:31 PM
Subject: Electrolytic Caps for AC use

Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich@xxxxxxxxx>

I have heard there is a way to adapt "DC" electrolytic
caps for use in AC by wiring a combination in a
certain way, any truth to this? I need large banks of
these in the 500 uf range, but conventional caps would
be way too expensive.. I also heard they can explode
if improperly connected to AC, anyone have experience
there? Will they gradually loose capacity rating over
time, since they are constructed like batteries,> do they have a limited shelf life? Mine are about 10
years old.
HDN