Re: The 1500t secondary myth (long)

Original poster: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Bert, John, All

I've been lurking background, reading this thread.  I would like to interject
several points in this discussion.

1.  The actual measured length of R. Hull's Nemesis resonator was 46" with
a wire winding length of 42" x 14" OD.   Wire gauge used was #16 magnet wire.

2. Resonant frequency with topload final configuration was 54kHz, free resonant frequency was ~ 95kHz. The size of the toroid was such to preferentially drop loaded resonant frequency to 50% or less of unloaded value. This design criteria was followed on subsequent magnifier work by TCBOR.

3. Has anyone measured the base "injection" current of a standard TC versus
the base current of magnifier driver secondary, assuming that the primary circuit parameters are NOT changed (BPS, kV in, Cp, fo) but coupling for magnifier driver primary to secondary is maximized for maximum POWER (i.e. charge) transfer? I believe the advantage (?) of a magnifier; if one truly does exist, is possibly higher streamer/arc currents, and higher/faster charge-energy transfer then a standard TC. I suspect there will be little or no advantage (i.e. increase) in Vo secondary. I don't have the infrastructure to perform this test at this time, and maybe someone out there can and provide the list feedback.

4. The resonator to driver inductance ratio typically striven for was at least 3:1, and good/excellent performance can be achieved with higher ratios to some point yet to be determined. I achieved 42" spark at 1kW with a magnifier system with a driver to resonator inductance ratio of ~ 4:1. The earlier thread comments of 1 turn resonators with >200:1 spark length to resonator length ratios are quite impossible (unless someone can build a 10H choke with one turn of wire... :^). I believe it would be a "tough" engineering challenge for someone to build a 100mH resonator in a form factor of 12" long with a H/D ratio of 3:1; with wire capable of withstanding 10kW
input power (go ahead, prove me worng... ;^) )

5. It has been my experience that increased kVin and smaller capacitors + larger primary inductance (higher Zsurge primary tank), generally improves system performance. It may be losses in spark-gap are reduced due to lower impulse currents, and possibly second order reduced tank i^2r losses in primary/tank wiring.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA