Re: The 1500t secondary myth (long)

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 12/5/04 9:18:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > Obviously the toroid must not be so large that
> > the spark cannot breakout.  Breakout points can be installed
> > to permit a too-large toroid to breakout, but this tends not
> > to increase the sparklength.
>
>     Can't imagine a toroid of any size too big to not break out at all,
> but I have read here of cases where this happened.

It's quite easy for the toroid to be too large
especially on a smaller coil, or if the toroid is smooth.  For
example in the example I gave of my TT-42 coil, the spark
could barely break out of the 6" x 24" toroid.  It was so close
to the *edge* of being able to break out.... that at times it
failed to break out, then suddenly the spark would break out
when it felt like it.  At times it would simply stop breaking
out again.  This was using about 800 watts wallplug.

If however the toroid is a corregated ducting toroid, then the
spark will often break out even if it's larger.  For example
the sparks easily broke out from a 6.3" x 26" toroid using the
above coil.  This is because corregated toroids usually have
some sorts of semi-sharp points that promote breakout.

I also can't imagine

> why a lot of folks run without a breakout point. I want that darn
> streamer to go where I want it and NOT go where I DON'T want it!

When the sparks are
permitted to break out from a smooth toroid without a breakout
point, the sparks move and glide around the toroid in a visually
pleasing manner.  Many folks like to see this effect.  Also many
folks have enough room for the sparks so they don't need to
direct the sparks in any particular direction.  For example my
TT-42 coil is best viewed in all its splendor by letting the sparks
roam around the toroid without a breakout point.

    http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

Cheers,
John