Re: The 1500t secondary myth (long)

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 12/2/04 11:05:23 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

See my earlier posts for details. John Freau's TT-42, which is still one
>of
> > >the most efficient coils ever, has Zo=44k. John found that adding a
>bigger
> > >toroid to his TT-42 (which would lower the Zo towards 36k) increased the
> > >spark length.
> > >And, Richie Burnett found that a coil with Zo=22k performed poorly, but
> > >changing to a resonator with Zo=~50k gave much bigger sparks with the
>same
> > >bang energy.

Steve,

My old research coil was somewhat more efficient than the TT-42 coil
when the TT-42 is fitted with the normal 4" x 13" smooth toroid.
The TT-42 coil requires a "robust" NST to obtain the 42" sparks
using the normal toroid, but the old research coil produced 42"
sparks using a normal NST.  The TT-42 gave 44" sparks using
a 6" x 24" smooth toroid which barely permitted breakout to occur.
I ran the research coil using a potential transformer for
better efficiency at times.  I often used a 6.5" x 24" secondary
wound with 28awg formvar magnet wire.  At other times I used
a 4.2" x 23" secondary also wound with 28awg wire.  In both
cases the toroid was a 5" x 20" ducting toroid, for producing
the 42" sparks using about 620 watts (wallplug).  I seem to
remember that both secondaries gave about equal spark lengths.
So it may be interesting to calculate the Zo for those two
secondary/toroid combos.

Cheers,
John