From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 5:54 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Terry's DRSSTC - input DC rectifier and filter stuff

Hi,

To follow up...  The models say that having very close 10uF poly
capacitance right at the IGBTs will happily take care of things even if
fairly high inductance (10uH) lead wires go back to the main electrolytic
filter caps.  Basically, say 10kV of RF divides between the 15nF primary
cap and the big 10uF close poly caps.  The poly caps see 15nF/10uF of the
voltage which is 15 volts.  I think having poly caps right at the IGBTs is
a real winner!!  Their ESR is only 4m ohm per cap which is vasty better
than the electrolytics.  Once the coil fires, you could actually remove the
electrolytics from the circuit with nill effect since the poly caps take
all the high frequency load.  They do 500 amps peak so no problem
there.  My poly caps are CD 940C6W4P7K  600V 4.7uF metalized poly that I
had left over from the OLTC.

This should eliminate Dan's heavy copper buss work in the DRSSTCII design
and make using "just big wires" ok.  It may also help some of the glitching
and noise Dan reported seeing.  In general, I really hate to run 200kHz at
say 300 amps through electrolytics.  Adding these poly caps simply bypasses
that current to cap types that love that stuff ;-)

Of course, you still certainly need the big electrolytics to supply stable
far lower frequency juice to the whole mess.

Happy to see your report of 550kHz out of IGBTs!!!  I have never heard of
them being run that fast in any situation!!

Cheers,

         Terry