Re: SRSG v. DC-RSG

Original poster: Zimtesla@xxxxxxx

>I'm wondering if I should try a variable break-rate rotary-gap on a DC
motor, or if I should try a synchronous rotary-gap.

The reason I ask is because I had a cap explode when using an
asynchronous rotary-gap, and I'm concerned that the same thing might
happen if, while testing,  I'm continuously varying the break-rate using
the DC-motor rotary-gap.<

I have tried both types on a similar potential transformer. You should be using a safety gap and perhaps some filtering to stop kick back from damaging the transformer. Make sure your caps are rated for at least twice the peak input voltage.

The performance of the two types of rotory gaps has been about the same for me. I need to improve the sychronous gap design - two gaps in series vs a single gap. Then I think the synchronous will be a little better. For the ASRSG be careful not to drop to a small break rate. This will case a lot of kick back due to phasing.
Jim