Re: Don't want to kill grandpe

Original poster: "steve" <steve_vance-at-cablelynx-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: Don't want to kill grandpe

 > Original poster: "Jim Mitchell" <Electrontube-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>
 >
 > 6' from a 12 60!!??  Are you sure it's a 12 60?
 >
 > Regards - Jim Mitchell

 > Jim, It is a 12-60 Franceformer. I guess I should have also mentioned that
I am driving it with 140V from a variac. So the output voltage is around
14KV. Another thing, I have been tweaking this coil for over a year. Spent
waaaay to much time on it. The biggest improvement was made when I rebuilt
the tank circuit. On the third attempt, I went out of my way  to isolate the
primary from anything that would cause corona to form. Before, I would get
corona drawn to nearby screws and even the wood the stand was made of. I
also replaced all of the tank wiring with 10awg. With these improvements
along with the 18"X4" toroid + the 28"X6" toroid I do occasionally get 6ft
freak streamers. Most of the time they are in the 5-5.5 ft range though.

Steve