DMM woes

Original poster: Dsurfr-at-aol-dot-com

Hi All.
The list seems kind of strange lately but I'll try posting this and see
what happens - could be an AOL thing. We moved recently and I'm just
beginning to get my coils set up again. I stupidly left my DMM (turned off
but w/ test leads plugged in & wound around the case) sitting on the bench
next to one of my twin secondary coils. This was unconnected and about 6'
away from the other twin I had set up to run solo to test out a few things.
When I tried to use the meter today it seems fried - LCD display is weird
and it won't take any readings. I assume it was damaged by the RF from the
running coil and perhaps the very close proximity to the bottom of the
matching extra secondary & toroid. I'll have to add this to my list of
things never to do again and buy a replacement but would anyone care to
take a stab at what actually happened to the unit?
Thanks in advance for the guesses,
Jim