Re: It Just Stopped

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Sounds like a shorted cap or a shorted NST secondary.
Try running it without the cap and see if it can fire
the spark gap. If it gives an orange, flaming arc,
it's a shorted cap. If it won't fire the spark gap, or
if the arc is very weak and spindly, you have a
shorted NST secondary.

BTW, the cap may read good on a cap meter, but still
have a punctured layer that only arcs thru at high
voltage. This is especially true of oil filled caps
where the flowing oil "self-heals" just good enough to
fool a cap meter, but not good enough to prevent HV
arcing at the site of failure.

Cheers,

=====
Gregory R. Hunter