Re: Safety training..

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 31 Jul 2004, at 8:15, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > In a message dated 7/30/04 10:24:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
 > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >
 > What I'm looking for is good ways to give people that "if I'm not
 > careful, I, or someone else, will die" feeling.
 >
 >       About 45 years or so ago, my H.S. physics teacher, at the start
 >       of
 > each term, would place a charged, oil-filled cap (~660V) on each table
 > with a card which read "Do Not Touch!". He claimed he had been doing
 > this for 20 years and no class went more than 10 days without someone
 > jumping up and screraming.
 >
 > Matt D.

A classic General Science demo is to charge a Leyden Jar withg a Van
de Graaf machine and have the entire class hold hands with first in
line holding the jar and last in line touching the top when all hands
have been linked. Gives everyone a taste. An exploding screwdriver
shaft is not a bad demo either.

Malcolm