Re: Simple Spark Gap Designs

If you're on a high school budget (I been there and understand) carriage
bolt heads work quite well with the rounded heads facing each other.  5/16
or 3/8 inch size work.  Use a simple metal "L" shaped bracket to support
them off an insulator.  A double nut allows adjustment and locking of the
sparkgap.  They will wear away but at less than 12 cents each, replacement
is no problem.

For your setup two or three such sparkgaps connected in series should work
well.  Keep the total gap at less than 0.180 inches (use 0.100 total for
initial tuneup) for use with most NST's.  With three gaps, use .180/3 = .060
inch setting for each gap.

Sometimes a small 70-100 muffin fan (surplus -- cheap) placed behind the
gaps provides additional cooling and quenching.  You can experiment with
this and use the fan if it works for best spark output.

Carefull adjustment of coeff. of coupling (raising and lower of your sec
coil) will give slight improvements and provide for optimum energy transfer
timing.  Use some scrap 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood to accomplish this task.

You're at a great age to start --- have fun and always unplug the wall power
before making any primary or sparkgap adjustments.  These power levels are
usually lethal so treat it like a rattlesnake -- with caution and respect at
all times.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913

 > Hey, I'm just starting out on my Coiling "career" if you will, and I've
 > decided to keep it extremely simple by following the plans you see on the
 > following website:

<http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind2.htm>http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/mole
rat/ind2.htm
 > . Now I'm reasonably far on my way to completing the Tesla Coil on this
 > page for a school project/my own interest, but It's come to my realization
 > that it seems to require the secondary induction coil on this page:

<http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind1.htm>http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/mole
rat/ind1.htm