Re: HV Voltage Dividers

Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation" <dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>

 > Hi Dan,
 >
 >  > You probably responded to the wrong address.  I recently changed to
 >  > dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com
 >
 > You must be right :)
 >
 >  > Anyways, for PSPICE i used resistors and capacitors which included the
 >  > parasitic inductances and capacitances in each.
 >
 > Yes, so which components? Or how did you gather those parasitic
 > component values?

I used the R, C, and L components.  For a capacitor you need a ESR (R), and
ESL (L), and the capacitance (C) all in series etc...

 >  > PSPICE will give you a ballpark idea of how the thing will work.
 >  > Also, yes, you can replace various components to get a perfectly flat
 >  > network.
 >
 > I am not talking about _replacing_, I'm taking about _removing_ your
 > compensation network and leaving simply the divider network but with the
 > capacitors correctly calculated. It gives already a flat response, no
 > compensation required.

It will never work that way.  There are lot of poles within the divider
which need to be compensated properly.  You don't have to use
the exact network i used, but it will be similar.

 >  > However, in the real world this isn't the case.  Once you
 >  > build the divider,
 >  > you will need to use a network analyzer, or similar and get the plant
 >  > response of
 >  > the entire unit, and then recalculate compensation values.
 >  > Its a lot of
 >  > trial and error and its the same way for the professional
 >  > vendors as well.
 >  > Even the epoxy used in these things greatly affects the
 >  > frequency response.
 >
 > That's precisely what I mean! You show the freq. response flat as from
 > your PSpice simulation, not as measured with a network analyzer. So we
 > get back to my question: what did you use to model the parasitic RLC
 > components? How did you gather those?

Yes, that is a PSPICE simulation.  However, at the time, the plotter for the
network analyzer wasn't working correct so i couldn't make a plot.
Again, parasitic components RLC are modeled just like that, R's, L's, and
C's.