Re: SRSG VS SUCKER

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Thanks for the reply John. I bet your right. My MMC is 30nf. Resonate for my
>transformer is 37nf. Will adding another 10nf be sufficient or, should I go
>with a LTR cap? What's the rule of thumb for a pig powered coil? I am using
>a 10kva pig with a 3kva ballast for a power supply.

Steve,

You can divide your desired input power by 120 bps to determine the
desired bang size in joules.  Then if you can estimate the desired firing
voltage, you can calculate the needed cap value using the appropriate math.
Once the cap is installed and the coil tuned, the ballast can be adjusted
to give the desired input power.  This is how I would go about it although
others may approach it a little differently.   I think it would be good to
use a cap value about 30% to 50% larger than resonant to give smoother
performance as suggested in some very old texts from 1921 or so, for
use with pig-type transformers.

John