Re: deceptive transformer

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com
 >
 > Hi Mike,
 >
 > My guess for NOT doing this would be the exhorbitant cost of changing the
 > entire power grid to higher frequency not to mention EVERY electrical ap-
 > pliance that you own would suddenly become obsolete. Also, I'm sure there
 > would be excessive skin-effect losses with trying to run  several kHz on
 > long distance transmission lines, not to mention the larger insulator re-
 > quirements.
 >
 > David Rieben

	Motors would be a problem too as the speed and windage would be
inconveniently high.  400 Cycle motors are of course common in A/C
systems but I'm not aware of any operating at higher frequencies such as
1600 cps, which is also in use but to a lesser extent.

Ed