Re: Maxwell AC vs. DC ratings

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-twfpowerelectronics-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi Bert,

 > I never realized these caps were so fragile!!  I sold those two I have from
 > that Lichtenberg figure experiment (wouldn't have worked...) to Kreso and
 > we were wondering about this.  I have always played with MMCs, not
 > commercial caps ;-)
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 >          Terry

Terry,

Commercial pulse caps aren't "fragile", they simply need to be properly
speced for the intended use and then operated within those specs. I have
certainly never had a commercial cap fail from "overcurrent" as your
recent MMC postings seemed to indicate. Actually I've had only one
commercial cap fail in 15 years and that was due to a manufacturing
defect in one section. The company built me a new one for free even
though the warranty period had run out!

MMCs are OK for "playing", commercial caps are for more serious work!

Regards,

Ed Wingate RATCB