Re: Maxwell AC vs. DC ratings & failure modes

Original poster: "Scott Hanson" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

Mike -

Thanks for the additional info on the failed Maxwell capacitors. As I
suspected, there were no measurements made on the actual operating voltage
when the caps failed.

Just because the system was connected to a 15 KV NST does NOT mean that the
voltage across the capacitor was 15 KV; it may have actually been 2X or 3X
or higher, depending on resonance effects, safety gaps, etc, etc. Please
post the results of your failure analysis when you open up the capacitors.
If you like, I'll pay shipping costs for you to send one of the failed caps
to me and I'll perform an intensive failure analysis in my lab at work, and
post the photomicrographs & findings at hot-streamer-dot-com for everyone to
review. We've seen several failure analyses of MMC caps that died in Tesla
coil service, but nothing on a commercial pulse cap that died under similar
conditions.

As for the Tesla coil driven by the 90 KV X-ray transformer, a posting to
this list from Mike.Marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com dated Sat, 04 Oct 2003
05:09:29 -0600 went into great detail describing the system, with the X-ray
transformer cooled by a car radiator & pump system, driving a giant MMC
array of five-hundred (!!!) Cornell-Dubilier 943 capacitors, with the whole
system drawing 24KVA (!!!!) and being capable of operation at this power
level for a period of 10 minutes before "the neighborhood browns out". This
posting is archived at www.pupman-dot-com.

Likewise, the claim of a 50 KVA Jacob's ladder running in your backyard (two
34.5 KV, 50 KVA pole pigs):

"Don't know what the actual power draw was, but it was popping 800A worth of
breakers (!!!!) in 5 seconds or so (made the drop wire from the pole quite
warm in the process). The arc spread over 17 feet before the breakers popped
(which was over 4" thick and bright as a welder". This also is archived at
Pupman-dot-com, posted by Mike Marcum -at- zoomtown-dot-com, on Sun, 23 Nov 2003
22:04:59 -0700.

Are there somehow TWO different Mike Marcums -at- zoomtown-dot-com?  Could there
somehow be an "imposter" posting incredible claims under your name?

Regards,
Scott Hanson