Whats in this old fuse?

Original poster: CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com

Hi Folks,

I know it's not quite tesla related, but i was wondering what a white
powder might be in an old cartridge fuse. The fuse is thick paper with the
metal end caps, but what is this stuff inside?

I do have a question related to my pole tranny though...One of my
insulators is leaking oil out the top.. It is wicking up through the rolled
paper inside. If I were to lower the oil level inside to be just below the
insulators, does anyone think that might cause problems? the tranny proper
would still be under oil.

Thanks!

Chris W