Re: deceptive transformer

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-hydrogen18-dot-com>
>No, please dont say it's so! They even put switching psu's in MO's now? Are
>the magnetrons designed for the HF also?
Fear ye not, Eric.  Once you get your head around switching supplies (it
took me a while), you'll be greatful.  The power handling per pound of core
is much greater when you start using higher frequencies.

Even so, "Traditional" MOs will be with us for some time.  You don't only
have the ones still in production, but also all the ones out there in
kitchens, just waiting to die and be reclaimed.  I can't see us running out
of MOTs at any time in the near future.

Personally, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some decent sized
cores -  preferably ones which can take a decent (100kHz or so) switching
frequency.

 From Mike's comments:

>That's not gonna help the price either with mots going extinct. Anyone try
>making a dc resonant coil with one of those inverter supplies yet? Freq is
>probably way too high to make the usual ac coil practical (no 50,000
 > bps caps to be found).

This could be a good incentive for more work on DC coils if we suddenly
find ourselves swamped with a load of high power/voltage SMPSs.

I think we could have some interesting experiences regarding the 'hot' side
of these SMPSs - we may well find that the output diodes and caps are
totally unsuited to the harsh TC environment.  We may have to use something
like a "Terry Filter" between SMPS and the tanks circuit, rather than
having the normal filter cap as the main TC cap.

There's a lot of learning to be done and, personally, I find it rather
exciting.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith