Re: Run capacitors for PFC capacitors?

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>
 >
 > Eric,
 >
 > They are used on NSTs not for current limiting, but for bringing the voltage
 > and current phase together, to eliminate excessive amperage draw that may
 > blow the 15 or 20 amp breaker in the average 110 volt line these smaller
 > coils run off of.  They are not used for current limiting, just correction.
 > Sorry if I wasn't clear on this.  I would assume that you would be using
 > some sort of an inductive ballast to keep current draw to sane levels, and
 > more than likely you will be installing a dedicated line to power your
 > project.  I suppose that all inductive loads could benefit from PFC, but
 > with a dedicated line and ballasting, it will be unnecessary.  If this
 > inductive load were running something 24/7, then maybe you would be easing
 > the pain on your electric bill a little, but for short duration TC use, not
 > required.  Ed Wingate mentioned that the cost for running his maggie for
 > fifteen minutes was in the pennies, and it's a pretty large setup.

Hi John,

A five minute magnifier run (no power factor correction) at 12KW costs
fifteen cents at the electric rates we pay here in upstate New York
which are close to the highest in the nation. That's pretty cheap
entertainment!

Interesting talk on the list of folks blowing MMC caps. I thought they
were supposed to be the be all and end all of Tesla coil capacitors and
were, for all practical purposes, indestructible, according to our list
moderator. :^) Hmmmmmm.

Happy Spring to you in upper Michigan!

Ed Wingate RATCB