Re: MMC problems

Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hi Gerry,

I agree with the small topload train of thought.  4x24 is small for 1500
watts.  I am going to make an 6x32 or 8x32 soon.

The capacitance shouldn't have been too low, as 4 strings of 9 comes out to
about .0667 uF.  I do believe that the low number of tuning turns allowed
too much current per turn, and a large topload combined with an 8"ish
secondary will bring tuning to a greater number of turns, hence less stress
per turn and greater inductance.

As far as the safety gap, I think you are correct.  Terry gave me the specs
for the spheres the gap is made up of, and I set accordingly.  MUCH better
than the set it with just the NST method.

Still waiting for better weather to do some runs, though.  BTW, what kind of
performance increase do you think the 8x32 topload and 8" secondary (1480
turns of #24 heavy build) will provide?  My gut tells me it should be
substantial.

Thanks,
John Richardson

 > Hi John,
 >
 > I believe you had a multitude of problems that resulted in the failure.
 >
 > 1. Your top load was too small (maybe way too small) - resulted in the
 > number of turns for the primary being too low.
 >
 > 2. Your Cp was too low - allowed the voltage on the Cp to get too high.
This