Re: New to tesla coils

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Sean,

Some form of protection is definatly needed.  It can be as little as a spark
gap from each NST output to ground, or can be as complex as Terry's filter.
I currently am building a Terry filter for my coil after an arcover.  The
arcover happened across the outputs of the RC filter that I had.  If that
had gotten into the NST's they would be dead.

The copper tube gap works well.  Jeff Larson has a unique one that allows
him to vary the spacing in realtime.

Making a flat spiral primary works best.  Use 1/4" O.D. copper refrigeration
tubing spaced about 1/4" apart.  Before you build it, follow Dr. R's advice
on building a scrap wire primary.  Tapping the primary is the best way to
tune your coil. When I started, I used to tune with the capacitors.  It does
not work very well.

Before I started using Glyptal and AC-43, I used to use Minwax fast drying
polyurathane varnish.  Before you wind, coat the tube inside and out, as PVC
is hydroscopic.  That will keep the PVC from absorbing water.  Polyurathane
varnish can crack and chip off when cold, or subjected to hot and cold
cycling.  It is good enough to get you started, and not that expensive.

Good luck on your bidding for that NST!

David E Weiss