Re: New to tesla coils

Hi,

At 03:23 PM 9/27/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I will try to build thegeekgroup's bucket cap, and maybe later get mmc.

Cool!  The bucket cap is probably the best alternative out there.

>I have no idea where to get a variac, so I'm probably not going to get
>one.  What is the purpose of the lightbulb in series with the
>transformer?  Does it protect it?

E-bay usually has plenty of variacs or ask here if anyone has any extras (I
am fresh out ;-))

>Also, is a filter absolutely required?  I looked at the Terry gap, is
>there an easier way?

Just have the spark gap without the MOVs, resistors, caps.  Just the spark
gap (properly adjusted) will protect against most stuff.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/terrygap.jpg

>I'll probably make a torroid from aluminum dryer duct.

That's just about all I use now.  Fancy spun toroids are cool, but for day
to day rough stuff, the duct toroids are cheap and easy.  Think BIG,  Most
good toroids are surprisingly big...

>I will probably try to make the primary adjustable.  What size copper
>tubing is best?

Get those 50 foot rolls of 1/4 inch refrigerator tubing for about
$15.  Can't be beat for fast, easy, and cheap.

>For the secondary a 4" pvc tube, what type of glyptal should I use?
>Also, is there an alternative to ac-43 (they seem to be located in New
>Jersey)

You can use common spray gloss poly too.  You really don't need anything
fancy.  It really just holds the wire and protects the coil some.  Office
stores sell streach wrap too which I really like since it really is great
at protecting coils and is trivial to repair.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WrapBurn05.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WrapBurn01.jpg

The coating really should not have to do anything electrically.  You could
almost have no coating but it is a real good idea to have a light coat of
something since the wire may loosen over time with varying temperature and
humidity.

>Ok, I am bidding on a transformer on ebay, 12kv 60ma as brooksshaman
>(please don't bid on it)

OK :o))

>Am I forgetting anything?

Hmmm...  Lots of little odds and ends but you have all the major
parts.  You may want to check the design with than new Java program first
to be sure everything will tune up right.  Or, mention the coils
dimensions, turns, values, and such here before your get seriously committed.

http://www.classictesla-dot-com/java/javatc.html

Cheers,

         Terry