Re: Streamer simulation

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Jim and Antonio,

Lightning, Lichtenberg Figures, and streamers all appear to be forms of
fractals that seem to be characterized by Diffusion Limited Aggregation
(DLA). For an example of a computer model that uses a DLA algorithm to
model growth to form a Lichtenberg Figure before your eyes, check out:
http://apricot.ap.polyu.edu.hk/~lam/dla/dla.html

Per the author, the algorithm is very simple: "We start with an immobile
seed on the plane. A walker is then launched from a random position far
away and is allowed to diffuse. If it touches the seed, it is immobilized
instantly and becomes part of the aggregate. We then launch similar walkers
one-by-one and each of them stops upon hitting the cluster. After launching
a few hundred particles, a cluster with intricate branch structures results."

You can see the shallow angles (mentioned by Dr. Resonance in a previous
post) formed between most of the branches in this model as well.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP