Re: Size of Primary High Voltage Capacitor

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

500-1000nF is a bit much for Tesla coiling. Caps in
the 5-100nF range are the most useful. Most caps are
unsuitable for tesla coil service. Coilers need a high
voltage capacitor capable of withstanding hi-powered
RF oscillation and intense, repetitive pulse power
discharges. Low inductance and low internal resistance
is also desirable. Internal lead connections to the
plates must be pretty beefy. Polypropylene film caps
with extended foil construction are best. Certain
types of oil filled plastic film caps are also
serviceable. Rarely, one will find certain types of
ceramic or mica "doorknob" transmitting caps usable.
About 99% of e-bay caps are not useful for coiling,
regardless of their voltage or capacitance rating. To
answer your original question, yes--cap value is
somewhat critical for efficient AC charging.

Cheers,

 > Original poster: "WIZZARD ." <pbobyk-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >
 > It is not entirely obvious to me whether a 500nfd or
 > even a 1ufd capacitor
 > is of any use in a Tesla coil application. These
 > items come up on ebay
 > quite frequently, and I wondered why they are not
 > scooped up by coilers.
 > There is a charge time constant that applies that I
 > am ignorant of.
 > Any help would be appreciated.
 >
 > WIZZARD
 > Dwight, Ontario